St Nicholas Church – Stretton in Rutland
St Nicholas’ Church was built between 1086 and 1185 when we know it was granted to the Knights Templar. This makes it probably the oldest church in Rutland. The original church was greatly extended in the 13th century and then was extensively restored in in 1881. For more than 900 years people have met to worship and over the centuries many changes have been made to our Grade 2 listed building. Walls have been rebuilt, the roof replaced, a door blocked up. Most of the woodwork was done in the 19th century. The church bells date from 1663 and 1710. and ring out for the twice monthly services. Click here to see church history.
We have exciting plans to follow in the steps of our forebears and re-order our building to meet Stretton’s needs in the 21st century whilst retaining the charm of this beautiful old building. The plan is to retain the traditional character of the church while making it suitable for community use. A joint committee from the Parochial Church Council (PCC) and from the Friends of St Nicholas has been appointed and will start to apply for grants in addition to the usual fund raising activities. Whether you are regular church goers or not you should benefit, as the agreement with the church authorities is that it will be open to all denominations and available for private functions.
Parochial Parish Council
The Parochial Church Council (PCC) is a committee of the Church of England and Parish that consists of the clergy & churchwardens of the Parish, together with representatives of the laity.
The PCC is responsible for the financial affairs of the Church Parish and the maintenance of its assets, such as St Nicholas Church and promoting the mission of the church.
The Friends of St Nicholas (FOSN)
The Friends of St Nicholas (FOSN) is an organisation which was set up in 1996. It is separate from the Parochial Church Council and concerns itself with the fabric of the church as a village building and has no link to religion. The aim of the FOSN is to ‘maintain, restore, preserve, improve, beautify and reconstruct for the benefit of the public, the fabric of the Church of St Nicholas, its monuments, fixtures, furniture, stained glass ornaments and other chattels and its churchyard’.